Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Words

Dear Leo,
I'm trying to sort out why I have such ambivalence toward words!  Clearly, I like using them!  However, I too often feel misunderstood.  Even when speaking English, I so often feel that others and I are not speaking the same language!  I realize conversant speech, formal speech, and written language are all different uses of words.  Regardless of the genre, I often find different meanings in words than what others intended, and my words often fail to convey to others what I believe they mean!  It sounds like I'm making a bad choice w/ words, that the fault of failed communication is w/ me.  However, I don't see it that way!  I also don't believe the fault is w/ others.  I really believe that human words can have so many meanings and subtle nuances that it really is the Norm to find various interpretations.  I think the problem is that some interpretations are so much more popular (or so much more easily found) that many think that's the only way to understand, where-as my interpretations and perspectives tend to be of a minority.  I think my relationship w/ words has much to do w/ being an INFP musician and of a mystic's life-view.

Really, given that I view language this way, it's surprising that I'm ever understood!!!

When something matters greatly to me and I want to communicate w/ someone who uses language differently, I guess I have to work harder to find ways to bridge the gap.  Or maybe simply be more creative.  Maybe I need to explore even more obviously different ways of using words.  Like e.e. cummings did in poetry.  Hmmm...  I don't know if I'm gifted enough for that, but it's worth consideration!

More later,
Mack

No comments:

Post a Comment